Follow Dr Han :)

Dr Han endorsed

Friday, April 20, 2012

Story of An intern

This is a true story happening today.
A very dramatic episode.
I am not trying to embarrass anyone , or trying to humiliate anyone... Just something to share... And some points for interns to learn.
In the end of the day... Doctors life is all about saving life..

One fine afternoon.... I was just finishing my round ...
I was hoping that it will be a great day for me... Praying hard that nobody is dying today... Hoping that no extraordinary case turn out today.

Suddenly, my obgyn mate called me telling me there is a patient fitting and collapsed in the labour room.
Without wasting anytime , we both rushed to the labour room.

Only to found out there is a lady... Very lethargic looking - lying on the bed...

Then i asked the nurses and the interns .. Did she the one who fitted?
All of them were looking at me... Wondering what an Anaest was doing at the labor room ... Then they said... Nobody fitted and nobody is fitting..

I was a bit pissed off, false alarm I guessed.

I asked my obgyn mo... " who is the genius who call u and inform about the fitting patient?"

Then she mentioned this particular name..

I straight away asked the interns around me to call that particular houseman...

A little while later she came to the labour room

In my mind... I was wondering... Why the hell was she went away after calling the mo regarding the fitting patient....

When she came to the room..
My first question to her was " give me the definition of fitting..."

Unsurprisingly , she could not answer that...

Then came my next question..." why on earth did u call ur medical officer and informed her that there is an emergency at the labour room.. That someone is fitting... While the truth is... Nobody saw anyone is fitting here?"

Then she came up with a brilliant answer..." I was not here... Someone told me that there is an emergency here... Hence i call the medical officer..."

Owh.. She was killing me...
" for goodness sake... If someone told u there is a pink elephant inside the labour room... Would u call ur superior about that? "

At least , u attend the patient first.. Then call ur superior to inform ur finding... Not based on random people who call u...

" then... How did u come up with fitting....?"

She replied... " it is an emergency.. If I mention fitting , my mo will come faster..."

Pure genius there....

Then I told her " u know... There are a million other life threatening cause that will make us come running here..."

When u mentioned someone is fitting and collapsing , surely Anaest will br called for ventilatory support...
But then... Lethargy is not life threatening and not require intubation... No need to call an Anaest to treat lethargy....

When ur house is burning... U call the fireman... Not the police....

Sigh... Luckily I was in a good mood today ... I didn't mention any foul language to her...

But then... 2 hours later... My fren told me that particular houseman was crying after that incident ... And she absconded from work today....


Well.. Dear houseman all over Malaysia
, rule number one.... U can't simply leave or absconded from work.. The government is paying u salary... If u skip ur working hours... U are earning " duit haram "

Secondly... Be tough and be smart... Don't be a sissy... If u can't take the sarcasm... Or u can't be scolded .. Don't be a doctor..

No comments: